HOME
factory
club
gallery
links
history book
technical
journals
regalia

A brief history of

 

DOT Motorcycles

 

Please read the important message on our homepage

 


A famous name in motorcycling, Dot trace their roots to 1903 when Harry Reed set up as a cycle builder in Salford.  By 1906 Reed had built a motorcycle which he rode to claim the World Championship for the Flying Kilometre at Blackpool and in 1908 Reed won the multi-cylinder class in the Isle of Man TT on his Dot.
Dot had many other competition successes until motorcycle production ceased temporarily in the early 1930’s.

Under the new ownership of Burnard Scott Wade and on the back of the commercial success of 3-wheel cycle and motor delivery trucks which he designed, Dot went back into motorcycle production after WWII, developing machines powered by Villiers Two Stroke engines.

 

Again Dot tasted racing glory by winning the Manufacturer’s Team Prize in the 1951 Ultra-Lightweight TT but became more famous for their range of lightweight Scrambles and Trials bikes. Aggressively ridden these superb handling Dot bikes beat machines 2 and 3 times their size from the major manufacturers such as BSA, Matchless, Royal Enfield and Triumph and lead to the lighter, more manoeuvrable competition machines of today.

 

 

Dot effectively ceased production in the 1960’s although the company and factory still exist, adjacent to the Mancunian Way/Chester Road at Hulme in Manchester and still supply spares and advice to Dot owners all over the world.

The Dot Motorcycle Club was formed by a group of enthusiasts to help maintain the name and reputation of the marque. The Club has  published a history of Dot to celebrate the 100 years of history for  details of the book click here.

St. George’s House

36 Ellesmere Street

Hulme

Manchester

M15 4JW

0161 8345472